General Requirements for Residents who began their Training on or after July 1, 2008
Subspecialty certification by the ABTS may be achieved for congenital heart surgery residents who began training on July 1, 2008 and after by fulfillment of these requirements:
- Successful completion of a full residency in congenital heart surgery in a program approved by the ACGME RRC-TS within twelve (12) consecutive months and at a single institution.
- Operative case experience verified by the congenital heart surgery Program Director that meet or exceed currently required minimum surgical volume and index case distribution shown on this web page.
- Primary certification by the ABTS.
- In good standing with the ABTS including Maintenance of Certification and all dues and fees.
- A currently registered, full and unrestricted license to practice medicine granted by a state or other United States jurisdiction. The license must be valid at the time of application for admission to examination and maintained at least until the Subspecialty Certificate is granted by the ABTS. A temporary and/or limited license such as an educational, institutional, or house staff permit is not acceptable to the Board.
- Ethical standing in the profession and a moral status in the community that are acceptable to the Board.