Applications for the 2023 5-year MOC process
The 5-year Maintenance of Certification (MOC) application is online through the Board's new web portal. Starting July 10, 2023, Diplomates are able to access the MOC application through the portal by clicking the "Visit Portal Page" button on the Board's home page. If this is your first time signing into the portal, please contact the Board office to obtain your username and instructions on how to create a new password. Once you are on your portal page, you should first update your contact information on the Profile Tab. You can also personalize your portal page by adding an optional photo.
If eligible, the 5-year MOC application can be accessed by clicking the Application Button that will appear on the left-side of your portal page.
Diplomates, who did not complete their 5-year MOC in their fifth (5th) year of their certification cycle, will be assessed an additional $400 late fee for each year they are late.
Deadline Dates for the 2023 5-Year MOC Application
Applications will be accepted from July 10 - August 31, 2023. Late applications will be accepted from September 1 - 8, 2023. Applications received after 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time on August 31, 2023 will be assessed a $400 late fee. No applications will be accepted after 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time on September 8, 2023.
Diplomates who are Clinically-Active (seeing thoracic surgery patients) can go through the 5-year MOC. Before you starting the application process, it is highly recommended that you have the following documents on hand when you complete the application:
- Copies of all medical licenses (PDF format) and National Practitioner Identifier Number. You will need to upload a .pdf copy for each medical license listed on the MOC application;
- A letter of reference from your Chief of Staff, or VP of Medical Affairs or equivalent position. This individual can use this Reference Template Form (Click Here) or he/she can write a letter on their own institutional letterhead provided there is a signature (PDF format);
- A letter of reference from a responsible member on staff. This individual can use this Reference Template Form (Click Here) or he/she can write a letter on their own institutional letterhead provided there is a signature (PDF format);
- Complete the practice profile. Provide the percentage of time spent in surgical and non-surgical activities listed in the 5-Year MOC application;
- The name and a brief description of a Practice Quality Improvement (PQI) project performed in the last two years (March 1, 2021 through the date of the application);
- The name of a Patient Safety Course taken in the last two year (March 1, 2021 through the date of the application); and
- Submit 150 AMA Category 1 CME hours since January 1, 2019, half (75 hours) of which need to be in the broad category of thoracic surgery
Diplomates who are Clinically-Inactive (not seeing thoracic surgery patients) can go through the 5-year Milestone. Clinically-Inactive Diplomates will need to submit the following information and/or documents with their application:
- Submit copies of all medical licenses (PDF format). You will need to upload a .pdf copy for each medical license listed on the MOC application;
- Complete the Practice Profile. Provide the percentage of time spent in non-surgical and surgical activities listed in the 5-Year MOC application;
- Provide an explanation describing what you are doing professionally; and
- Submit 150 AMA Category 1 CME hours since January 1, 2019, half (75 hours) of which need to be in the broad category of thoracic surgery.
All Diplomates in the 2023 5-year MOC process
If selected for a random CME credit audit, Diplomates will be expected to submit copies of their third-party CME certificates (PDF format). If you have been randomly selected for a CME credit audit, you will receive an email requesting copies of the third-party CME certificates.
A confirmation email will be sent to Diplomates when the application is submitted. Another email will be sent when the application has been approved. Once your application has been approved, you will receive an email with information on how to obtain a free copy of SESATS.